 WARNING, CAUTION, DANGER, AND BEWARE!
 Gullibility Virus Spreading over the Internet!
 WASHINGTON, D.C.--The Institute for the Investigation of Irregular
Internet Phenomena announced today that many Internet users are becoming
infected by a new virus that causes them to believe without question
every groundless story, legend, and dire warning that shows up in their
In Box or on their browser.

 The Gullibility Virus, as it is called, apparently makes people believe
and forward copies of silly hoaxes relating to cookie recipes, E-Mail
viruses, taxes on modems, postcards for child cancer research and the
merits of melanza.

 "These are not just readers of tabloids or people who buy lottery
tickets based on fortune cookie numbers," a spokesman said. "Most are
otherwise normal people,
 who would laugh at the same stories if told to them by a stranger on a
street corner."  However, once these same people become infected with the
Gullibility Virus, they believe anything they read on the Internet.

 "My immunity to tall tales and bizarre claims is all gone," reported one
weeping victim.  "I believe every warning message and sick child story my
friends forward to me, even though most of the messages are anonymous."

 Another victim, now in remission, added, "When I first heard about Good
Times, I just accepted it without question.

 After all, there were dozens of other recipients on the mail header, so
I thought the virus must be true." It was a long time, the victim said,
before she could stand up at a Hoaxes Anonymous meeting and state, "My
name is Jane, and I've been hoaxed." Now, however, she  is spreading the
word.  "Challenge and check whatever you read,"  she says.

 Internet users are urged to examine themselves for symptoms of the
virus, which include the following:
 *  the willingness to believe improbable stories    without thinking
 *  the urge to forward multiple copies of such    stories to others
 *  a lack of desire to take three minutes to check    to see if a story
is true

 T. C. is an example of someone recently infected.  He told one reporter,
"I read on the Net that the major ingredient in almost all shampoos makes
your hair fall out, so I've stopped using shampoo."  When told about the
Gullibility Virus, T. C. said he would stop reading e-mail, so that he
would not become infected.

 Anyone with symptoms like these is urged to seek help immediately.
Experts recommend that at the first feelings of gullibility, Internet
users rush to their favorite search engine and look up the item
tempting them to thoughtless credence.  Most hoaxes, legends, and
tall tales have been widely discussed and exposed by the Internet
community.

 Courses in critical thinking are also widely available, and there is
online help from many sources, including

*  Department of Energy Computer Incident Advisory  Capability at
    http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html
*  Symantec Anti Virus Research Center at
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/index.html
*  McAfee Associates Virus Hoax List at
    http://www.mcafee.com/support/hoax.html
*  Dr. Solomons Hoax Page at
    http://www.drsolomons.com/vircen/hoax.html
*  The Urban Legends Web Site at    http://www.urbanlegends.com
*  Urban Legends Reference Pages at    http://www.snopes.com
*  Datafellows Hoax Warnings at
    http://www.Europe.Datafellows.com/news/hoax.htm

 Those people who are still symptom free can help inoculate themselves
against the Gullibility Virus by reading some good material on evaluating
sources, such as
*  Evaluating Internet Research Sources at
    http://www.sccu.edu/faculty/R_Harris/evalu8it.htm
*  Evaluation of Information Sources at
    http://www.vuw.ac.nz/~agsmith/evaln/evaln.htm
*  Bibliography on Evaluating Internet Resources at
    http://refserver.lib.vt.edu/libinst/critTHINK.HTM

Lastly, as a public service, Internet users can help stamp out the
Gullibility Virus by sending copies of this message to anyone who
forwards them a hoax.

:-)))

[log in to unmask]   Search the parkinsn archive online at:
                 http://james.parkinsons.org.uk
                Catch the Parkinsn List messages on line at:
               http://www.ionet.net/~jcott/homepage/archive/patp.html
             *NEW*Click the page ads and use the new search tools*NEW*
John Cottingham