Ivan wrote:

> So Bob, I am not bragging.  I am not complaining.  I am just talking to
> you. It's too bad you can't seem to accept me as I am.  I am proud to be
> gay, and share it joyously, as  other Listmembers share their joys,
> whatever they might be.

I have stayed out of this controversy but feel that I need to make a
comment here.  It is not directed at Ivan or anyone else
individually.  It deals with the concept of being "proud" (see above
about being "proud to be gay").

It doesn't make any sense to me to be "proud" to be gay, any more
that I should feel "proud" at being heterosexual.  Being gay or
"straight" is not something we *acquire*; for most of us (there are
some exceptions), it is the way we were born.  I think that "pride"
can be very destructive.

I hope that Ivan does not decide to leave the List.

Best,

Bob

ROBERT A. FINK, M. D., F.A.C.S.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, CA  94704-2636  USA
Phone:  (510) 849-2555   FAX:  (510) 849-2557

WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"