Peter Williams wrote:

> I am 50 ... diagnosed 2 years ago ... need to work at least 5 more
> years ... not disclosed my illness to my employer ... suspect at
> least some of my co-workers have noticed changes in my gait....
> read ... effectiveness of sinemet varies on average from 2-5 years
> before side-effects become an issue....

Everyone's symptoms and rate of progression differ somewhat, but the
info is useful as a ball-park estimate.  I was diagnosed in 1990 and
on sinemet within 2 years after that. I have some dyskinesia, but it
is not an "issue" in terms of the work I do (involves using a
computer keyboard).  I think effectiveness of sinemet depends on
stage of disease, not length of use.

If I were in your stage of PD, I would investigate enrolling in a
clinical trial of riluzole (trade name Rilutek), a glutimate
antagonist which can retard ALS and which is being tested for a
similar effect on PD, as a way of possibly receiving this medicine
before it is released.

I would also investigate anti-oxidents and other so-called
"free-radical scavangers" for possible neuroprotection. My
neurologist Dr. Fazzini suggests Coenzyme Q10, glutathione, NADH and
ginko biloba as possibly useful. I have started grape seed extract
(too recently to notice a difference.)

If people at work notice your symptoms, it might be worth telling
your employer that you have PD but are not in need of ADA
accommodations at this time, just so no one will think you have a
different problem than PD and draw incorrect conclusions.  This
could be important if work performance is later affected.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 61/dx 1990