Hello list members,
I was diagnosed with PD less than a month ago. I have a shuffle in my
gait on the left side and some loss of dexterity in left hand with a
very very slight tremor. I can live with these symptoms with minor
adjustment to the way I live. The main symptomatic problem, for which I
had sought medical attention in the first place, is a painful "frozen
shoulder" with severly restricted range of movement of my left arm. I am
told that this is a separate issue from PD, but that the latter's
tendency to tighten muscles of neck and shoulder could be causing lack
of response to physical therapy for the shoulder joint. Therefore
starting PD medication, why not yet strictly necessary, could benefit
this condition.
I have not started medication yet because of another worry: In order to
get a balanced understanding on what was happening, I sought a second
opinion from another neurologist. Result: complete confusion. One
recommends that I commence with dopamine agonist Pergolide, the other
(who knows about the other's recommendation) favours levodopa in the
form of Madopar. Both tell me it is my decision. These are two reputable
medical men, when the time comes that I feel I am ready for the
commitment, which course do I choose? Not so much that, how, as a
layman, do I choose?
Dave Thurston