>From [log in to unmask] Sun Jan 31 22:24:24 1999
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 22:18:51 -0500
From: Gregory Leeman <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: corrections

Dear Harold,

Here is the corrected letter.

The following correspondence is sent by Greg Leeman, a fellow PWP. In no
way does it reflect the opinion of the Maine Parkinson Society or any of
its members.

My original reaction to this posting by the estimable Mr. Severance was
to not get involved.  But, far too many times I have stood silent while
I have disagreed with both the content and the approach by Mr. Suzman. I
will be as brief as I can.  But, I want everyone to get the full picture
as I have seen it on many occasions.

First, I would like to qualify my statements by saying that Ivan has
reached a point in the progression of the disease that he struggles with
the cyclical effect of on-off phenomenon and dyskinesias.  He often is
moody, sullen and melancholy, which are all understandable.  However,
after he is either mean or short with someone and in a better mood, he
is never contrite or sympathetic to the angst he causes those people. He
is stubborn, and sometimes arrogant.

These are strong words. But, these are befitting descriptions in my non
clinical opinion. It has happened one too many times that he has slashed
the people whom are trying most to help him. I suggest he read the
mission statements of these organizations. I have read most of them, and
they rely mainly on private funding and the sweat equity of their
volunteers to provide the labor pool to carry out the thoroughly
exhausting chores of keeping a non profit viable.

His trivial claim becomes important in his mind because he is selfish.
Pure and simple. I have been there many times for Ivan.  But so many
times he has crossed the line with venomous attacks where he rambles
rancorously about all the problems that were caused by my answering his
call for help.  He can go on and on about the lack of PCA quality, but I
know differently. He drives these people away one by one.  On many
occasions I have witnessed his attacks and nitpicking. It is fine to say
$6.25/ hr is not enough for suitable care, but when you don't realize
that the only chance you have at keeping them is with fair treatment,
you will forever be trying to replace them.

I am aware that there will be several people whom will not react well to
this assessment of a PWP.  But, a rogue should be exposed if he
continuously attacks others and then hides behind the veil of his
affliction.  And I don't mean dishonest by outwardly lying about things,
but not facing the inner truth, that he uses people through exaggeration
and guile.  Until he realizes the maxim that you should treat others
with the respect you expect in return, he will have many more tough
experiences.  And, until he realizes this, I will not be able to offer
my support.  I am sorry.

Greg Leeman