Dear Carol,

> My husband, Doug, is the PWP and will be undergoing open heart surgery for
> mitral valve replacement in the coming weeks.  He is 55 years old,
> diagnosed 8 years and has retired as a public school teacher. He continues
> to be active, drives, and is successfully involved with living life.
> Any insights/helps you can provide us would be most appreciated.

Nice to see another Coloradan on the list!

I'm sure you're aware of the Eldepryl/Demerol concern (not a problem if
he doesn't use Eldepryl). However, I'd make up a list of his current
meds and the scheduled times he takes and pre-educate the hospital staff
in this regard. A bit of explaining with regard to the general nature of
PD, and its specifics with regard to Doug, would sure be a good idea,
too -- staff are frequently unaware of the need for precise timing of
meds; also, protein-levodopa interaction if he uses Sinemet.

My very best to you and Doug, and hopes for a short hospital stay!
Kathrynne
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
"Nutrition you can live with!"