I came very close not replying to this message at all, much less on the
list...but Jim was honest enough to try to help, and I'll do the same.
About 1 yr before I was finally diagnosed, my neurosurgeon strongly
suggested I find out if I had any long term disability and how it worked
etc.  I called our personnel office, and after receiving assurances that
everything would be kept confidential, asked for the information.  I never
got it, but beginning 3 days later I started receiving letters of reprimand
from my boss.  This is after 14 yrs of consistently being rated above
average.  I never did receive the information from my company, but I did get
questions about my health from everyone above and some below my boss's
level.  Sorta strange.  Another coincidence that just happened was that
after a year of put downs in public, letters explaining why I was no good
etc, a good friend of mine was elected to the State congress.  After
assisting my boss with giving him a report he wanted, within the last 2
weeks I'm a pretty good guy again...Phil, I really can't advise you since I
don't know what I would do if I could do things again.  According to ADA,
legally they have to make every effort to keep you employed if that is your
wish, but I have heard of a lot of ways pwp have been made so miserable they
quit.  As my boss told me 2 months ago, quote "stress makes that stuff worse
doesn't it, and your job is real stressful.  It will probably get more
stressful.  Have you considered taking early retirement for health reasons?"
unquote
I have 2 teen age boys who want to go to college, and am still paying for a
house,  their horses, trailers, trucks and other toys.  If I am willing to
really disturb their future, I could think about a medical, but I'm not.  So
far I've stuck it out, but the last year has not been a fun one, even not
counting the pd.
Bob [log in to unmask]