Dear Ann,
That's a very good question. In fact, there are large, controlled
studies that indicate people with PD have lower serum levels of vitamin
D, greater degree of bone thinning, and greater incidence of bone
fractures than age-matched control groups. Another study finds that
people with PD have more difficulty with rehabilitation following a hip
fracture than those who don't have PD. This is true for men as well as
for women, especially with advancing age.

In the study I conducted of 24 people with PD, I found only one person
who appeared to meet the RDAs for calcium and vitamin D. Few were
getting much weight-bearing exercise, which strengthens bones. And many
got little exposure to sunlight, a source of vitamin D. If these
preliminary findings are indicative of the larger population of people
with PD, it could suggest part of the reason for the higher rate of bone
thinning (osteoporosis) in people with PD.

Many of my clients have changed the type and/or amount of food they eat,
often to their detriment. Some have found that milk, an excellent source
of both calcium and vit. D, interferes with Sinemet absorption. Some
don't want to take vitamin supplements, as they're already taking so
many pills daily. Some have been advised to avoid sunlight due to risk
for skin cancer. Many cannot perform much weight-bearing exercise due to
fatigue, dizziness, difficulty walking, or other conditions.

I encourage people with PD of all ages to discuss with their registered
dietitian or physician the need for adequate calcium and vitamin D, and
to consider use of appropriate fortified foods and/or supplements. I
also encourage as much weight-bearing and strengthening exercise as
possible. And I suggest asking your physician to prescribe a Dexascan,
to determine whether any bone thinning exists.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD