On Mon, 1 Feb 1999 11:02:27 -0600 "Charles T. Meyer, M.D."
<[log in to unmask]> writes, in part,

.... After talking to
>several people I came to the
>conclusion while NPF was not blameless Ivan's claim was highly
>inflated as to the amount that he was
>reasonably due

Charlie,

 I am not sure what you mean when you say the "claim was highly
inflated"...

 I took the trip to Miami because the NPF staff kindly set up the
appointment.  Otherwise, I would never have searched for a CNA and gone
to Florida.  From the total  trip expenses,  I extracted the expenses to
go to the clinic and back by plane with a CNA on 24-hour duty as the ONLY
allowable expenses.  These were $2200.00.
.

>Ivan claimed PBS was discriminating against him because he was gay.

Charlie, I wondered if my minority status was an element in my story to
find safe caregivers not being shown so far. This might be possible, but
I NEVER stated that PBS discriminated against me! Charlie,
I came to realize that Hilary's wonderful appearance, which I worked
very, very hard to support, took precedence.  At least two PWP's in our
midst, Hilary Blue plus Dr. Peter Morabito, each did a very fine job
indeed of representing us.  I will represent ALL of us if I am filmed for
an April story.  If I am not filmed,. I will still continue to work for a
future cure for PD for ALL of us.

Being in a minority group has caused me additional caregiver search
stress, still does, always will, but at the same time, I am very grateful
to Dr. Morabito and to Hilary Blue for their courage and their success.

>When several listmembers wrote
>to him off list stating that they felt that he should stop pushing his
>personal agenda he wrote to
>the list stating that he was getting anti-gay hate-mail which-  with
>the information I had I wrote a
>post supporting Ivan-  only to find out from the alleged gay bashers
>what they actually wrote.

Charlie, unless you go through what we go through,   your interpretation
of our experience, even with great compassion you always show, can only
be partial.    In any case, I am actively trying to repair and build a
strong bond with the two listmembers involved.  In one case, I wrote two
private letters and made a phone call.  In the other case, I am hoping
that time will heal me from the comments upset me so much.  I have
followed Barbara Patterson's advice.

>And then when the petition came up you will find my name conspicuously
>absent since I assume the
>City has their side which I would need to hear before advocating in
>any way for Ivan.

The City's lawyer has finally begun to negotiate a settlement, last week,
once it became known that the PETITION had arrived, and had filled so
quickly. I have thanked the signers.  If you were hesitant, I have no
problem with your not signing.

 The ideal settlement may OPEN the door for other PWP's in similar
circumstances of property tax and sewer lien pressure to get better,
Parkinson's-focussed relief in their towns or cities.

>The list is full of compassionate people who want to help other PWP's
>who are in need.  The list is
>great for that but it can be abused.

Please , Charlie, I am just like you in wanting to help others. Many of
my posts show this.