Brian I tried attaching to the web site, but didn't have any luck.
Could you e-mail a copy of the paper directly to a fellow engineer?

Now regarding avoiding Sinemet, I guess I agree that metering the
correct dosage is most difficult as the disease progesses. However,
there is something that has been bothering me and that is, why should
all the symptoms be attributed to loss of dopamine producing cells?

Yes the dopamine is produced in the substantia nigra, but it is used by
the neurons in the basil ganglia. Each neuron has seven (I think)
dopamine receptors which seem to respond as quantizers. Based on the
level of dopamine detected by the receptor, a proportionate amount is
released to the next neuron across the synapse which activates its
receptors. The dopamine is broken down and recaptured by the firing
neuron for another shot.

Somewhere along the pathway, these dopamine sensitive neurons somehow
have a dampening affect ( I postulate the summing node of the feedback
loop) on those acetylcholine sensitive neurons which actually activate
the muscles.

As a system engineer, it seems that there a lot of different failure
modes inside the back box that would manifest themselves with the same
response outside of this black box.

What if my symptoms are caused by failure of dopamine receptors (lose
sensitvity)? Or maybe a failure of the transmitter that squirts the
dopamine across the synapse. Or maybe the inability to recapture the
expended dopamine. Or maybe a failure of the summing node. This last one
gets real tricky because I've never seen an explanation as to how the
dopamine firing neurons impact the firing of the acetylcholine activated
neurons.

Just something for you retired guys to ponder.

Phil Gesotti 49/46