> Judith, Was there ever a certified diagnosis on your friend's death? (Joe)...I have not seen anything on that, maybe I missed it.<

I believe the cause of death was "unknown." The coroner said there was
nothing anatomically wrong with any of the organs. Tissue samples have
been sent to the Forensics lab in Toronto, but apparently they are so
backed up, it may be months before we get any results.

The family went to the hospital today to look at the medical records -
specifically the sequence of events that led up to Joe's death. It was
extremely upsetting for Donna to learn that Joe had to be restrained and
apparently the word "combative" was used, although Joe was not violent
(though certainly agitated) at home.

Joe had a fear of the psychiatric ward, and he asked us not to take him
there, but that's what we had been advised to do if he had another
psychotic night. It broke our hearts to leave him there, and Donna and I
have been down the "what if" road over and over. Deep in my heart I
think I realize we had no other choice but to do as we did, but we are
having a difficult time getting past the feeling of guilt for leaving
him there. It's bad enough to die in a medical ward, but to die in a
small windowless room, strapped down like a trapped animal is horrible.
It was all so sudden...so unexpected...

I thank you all again for your concern and many messages of condolence.
I wish I could write to each and every one of you, but I don't have the
emotional strength. It's still just too painful...

Judith
--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada
                         ^^^