As a retired Podiatrist with PD I should be qualified to comment on the
following post:

Nick Drozdowski wrote:

> My wife has a callus buildup on the ball of her right foot, similar to a
Planter's wart, which causes her lots of
> pain when walking.  The podiatrist says it is caused by walking barefoot
too much, meaning no arch support.
> He gave her a pair of arch supports to slip into her shoes.  Also said to
scrape the callus when it grows too big
> and becomes very painfull.  Five months later, and nothing has changed.
She has PD on her right side,

INick Drozdowski wrote:

> My wife has a callus buildup on the ball of her right foot, similar to a
Planter's wart, which causes her lots of
> pain when walking.  The podiatrist says it is caused by walking barefoot
too much, meaning no arch support.
> He gave her a pair of arch supports to slip into her shoes.  Also said to
scrape the callus when it grows too big
> and becomes very painfull.  Five months later, and nothing has changed.
She has PD on her right side,
> which causes her gait to not be normal, drags her right foot somewhat.

Of course I can only speculate without seeing the foot but it sounds to me
like you have a plantar keratoma.  The 5 metatarsal bones are the long
bones of the foot.  The ends of these bones form the ball of the foot and
carry much of the body's weight.  Normally these bones are even with each
other.  Occassionally one (or more) can plantarflex i.e. drop lower than
its  neighbors and then it carries a disporportionate amount of the body's
weight.  This puts extra pressure  on the skin in this area and whenever
there's extra pressure on skin the skin protects itself by forming callous.
 What do you do?
The callous should be periodically paired down by a competent podiatrist,
An pad can be applied to the foot that surrouds the lesion like a donut but
does not actually cover  the sore spot itself.  An old fashion
accommodative arch support with a build up behind the end of the bone to
push it up can be ver y  effective if properly made, and finally if all
else fails there is  a surgical solution.

god, it feels good doing podiatry for 5 minutes again...

Tom