Just home from the Parkinson's Alliance meeting --  such an intense
experience is not possible to convey in words!  If I had taken pictures,
they would have been eloquent:

 Dr. Peter Morabito in the elevator, comforting Victor,  his Great Dane
trained to  help PWP's with balance.  Victor is good at his work, but has a
personal  phobia of elevators.  A sign on his back says that he is a
working dog. "Do not pet me", which I noticed while I was scratching him
behind his ears.

Terrie Whitling, moving us  to tears with her summary of how the meeting
had given her hope.  In her lap was a piece of needlepoint, a bookmark she
had been creating so painstakingly -- spelling out MARY, a surprise gift,
worthy of the Parkinson's Art Exhibit, opening this week in Los Angeles.

Jim Warsaw, commanding quiet and attention to stop a flurry of arguments,
barely controlling his tremor as he spoke with passion and laser-like
focus.   His point: those of us with Parkinson's don't have time to dink
around.  Every effort we make has to be thought-out so we can be effective.

Kim Seidman and Carol Walton, two blondes with brains in contradiction to
all the blondes jokes,  iron hands in velvet gloves, seizing the  floor
when open discussion had progressed to the point where it needed to be
wrestled to the ground and formed into action plans  These two are
formidable, especially since in the back of their memories are images of
their fathers, who had hard  last years with PD.

Dr. Abraham Lieberman, ignoring his  own fatigue as he copes with postpolio
syndrome, seemingly at home with us, open to answering however many
questions we had.

Margaret Tuchman, dyskenesia all over the map, describing to us at dinner
some of her dreams such as establishing a place of safety  for abused
horses.   Her selflessness and joie de vivre  quietly set the tone wherever
she is.

Jim Cordy, "the General", stretched out on the floor to relax while a bunch
of us re-capped the day.  He good-naturedly admitted to being "a pain in
the ass" and promised to stop talking so much -- which was answered by
howls of disbelief.  And a smile like sunshine from himself.

And many more images.  I wish you all could have been there.

"For I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep..."
We left with the promise that each of us would send the  Listserv a note
about the meeting.  I've just come home and it's after midnight.  I feel
compelled  to keep my promise, though I know this note gives only an
incoherent sketch.  Other people will fill in the details and give you the
substance.   And in time I'll pull together more clearly what I think  it
all means for us.     In brief -- there's a lot to do if we want a cure,
but after all these years, I'm starting to believe that we can do it.

Mary Yost (one of many Mary's on this list), age 50, diagnosed 1990,
mother of one wonderful son who won't ever have PD  if we find the cure