Bill....

While I had a successful unilateral pallidotomy 4 1/2 years ago, I
was told by the neurosurgeon to NOT stop taking Sinemet, which was
the only PD-specific drug I was taking then (and now, too, come to
think of it).

The reason he gave to continue taking the drug - even if, post
surgery -  we had no symptoms of PD at ALL - was we all (with the
exception of those not yet taking a dopamine replacement drug) have
been flooding our respective bodies and brains with excess amounts of
dopamine, usually for several years prior to biting the bullet and
going ahead and having the surgery.

To suddenly STOP - to "eliminate," as you suggested you'd like to
possibly do, would cause you GREAT physical harm, or maybe WORSE!
Post-pallidotomy, one CAN usually reduce the drug dosage, however,
that should be done gradually, and in small amounts.

I was told that by Dr. Robert Iacono at Loma Linda Hospital
immediately post-surgery, because I felt SO good at that time, that I
immediately thought, "YIPPEEEEEE!  No more PILLS!"

I was able to reduce the daily dose of Sinemet by about 1/4th of what
I took prior to the pallidotomy, and have pretty much been able to
stay right at that reduced level since then.

Barb Mallut