On Tue 09 Feb, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> I'd like to add  my additional two cents worth to this ongoing dialogue.
> Several neuro's have explained to me that dyskinesia is due to the uneven
> dosing of sinemet vs. the more continuos, fluid absorption of dopamine in the
> brain.  If that's accurate, then PWP's  who take liquid siniemet
> theoretkically should have less trouble with dyskinesia.  To my knowledge,
> this has not been addressed.  This theory does not explain when or  under what
> conditions  dyskinesia is likely to occur in the PD process.
> By the way.. I'm not an engineer--which is probably obvious to you.  I am a
> psychologist, with soma background in brain structure and function, and an
> appreciation  of systems theories.
> Marty Polonsky

Hello Marty, this is building into quite a debate. The explanation that you
were given is quite compatible with my model, but I might put it somewhat
differently:
1/ The parameter which defines how close you come to the Dyskinesia
threshold is the rate of flow of dopamine into the system. When you take
say a sinemet 100/25, the rate of flow remains at zero while the levodopa
battles its way to the brain - say 45 minutes. It then rises to a
(hopefully steady) rate for a while - about 2 hours for an old hand like me,
or about 3 hours for a relative 'newbie'. and then dies away to zero as the
tablet runs out. The shape of this characteristic is fixed once the tablet
is swallowed, and you have no control.

2/ Liquid sinemet on the other hand offers infinite adjustability because
you can regulate the number of tablets that you mix in, or take a fixed
number of tablets and vary the quantity of orange juice which you use. In
addition, you can vary the size of each dose you take, and thus tailor
the LS characteristic to stay just clear of the dyskinesia line.

3/ Liquid Sinemet has one other characteristic - speed.  It is the fastest
way to get going in the morning - about 10 minutes to a noticeable effect
But still a better method than taking say an extra Sinemet in the morning
(The notorious kick-start,  of which I disapprove.) The speed of Liquid
Sinemet can be rather disconcerting and you must keep your wits about you
and don't be tempted to sneak the next dose too early.

4/ I have taken a lot more words to say it, and if you are still with me,
you may have a better understanding of the drugs - if not, let me know  and
I will try harder.

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>
Diag 20yrs first symptoms 26 yrs, Age now 59