On Wed 10 Feb, Joao Paulo Carvalho wrote:

> Barb , the point I was to trying to get across was how to explain that
> destroying more dopamine producer neurons (and other brain cells) with
> Pallidoctomy the result is then,  paradoxically , the reduction of the
> need of the intake of levodopa .(remembering that the culprit of the
> symptoms is attributed to the shortage of dopamine in the brain)
>
> Cheers ,
>
>    +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +
>    +--------| Salvador-Bahia-Brazil |------+

Hello Joao Paulo,  Your e-mail above tells me that you are missing one
important point in the story of Pallidotomy: The object of a Palidotomy
is not to damage brain cells (although a few may be accidentally damaged)
and it is certainly not to damage Dopamine-producing cells. The site
where all the Dopamine for the control of the major parts of our body
is the Substantia Nigra, and the Pallidotomy aims to partially sever
a bundle of nerve fibres in the Globus Pallidus (hence the name). My
way of explaining it is that the operation 'turns down the volume' of
the feedback nervous systen (All control systems require a feedback loop
to tell the main motor system how it is progressing). In a PWP's brain,
this return signal is swamping the output signal. I hope this helps,
Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>