Dear List-family....

With the rapid growth of the Internet & the Web, and the
proliferation of bizarre and dangerous computer virus', I thought I'd
let ya all in on an interesting, book I've read about that nemeses of
all decent Netizens - the much dreaded HACKER!

"Hacker" in TODAY'S Cyber-jargon refers to someone who at the very
least is considered  kinda slimy and sleazy, as opposed to the
old-fashioned "hacker," with "old fashioned" being, oh, say, as much
as 35+  years in the past, when the computer was only found in
everyday use by the military, some policing agencies, and the more
elite universities!   Remember - in Cyber-minutes, 35 years is
several lifetimes and incarnations of the wonderful tool we know and
use today.

The afore-mentioned book, inspired by evil real-life hackers who
broke into governmental, police, military, and university computer
systems (mainframes, in those days), is mighty relevant reading!

Read 'bout the first, the original "worm" that brought the Internet
(actually, it was called the Arpenet in them days, and Bill Gates was
just another bright kid in elementary school!) to it's virtual knees.

Inspired by all the interest in, and fear of this latest Internet
"worm" (or virus, if you chose), if you're into real-life mysteries,
who-done-its, AND the computer, I submit for your reading pleasure
and education the following book:

"The Hacker Crackdown: Law & Disorder on the Electronic Frontier," by
Bruce Sterling.

ASIDE:  By the way, I just checked Amazon Books on the Web
 www.amazon.com ) and they have this book in stock at $5.95 for the
paperback version.

ENJOY!

Barb Mallut