hi all

At 10:22 1999/02/13 -0500, lynn wrote:
>Another perspective:  it is extremely stressful to be "accused" of having a
>psychiatric disorder.  O.K., If the shoe fits, it may be in the patient's
>best interest to wear it.  But, the larger problem is, psychiatrists can
>generally always finds a diagnostic label that fits and can't be fought:
>how can the patient prove he/she doesn't have it?  Most degenerative
>neurological problems are accompanied by symptoms that fall within the
>realm of psychiatry:  anxiety, memory disorders, depression...It's a
>Catch-22.  If the neurologist is unable to come up with a diagnosis - and
>it often takes years for neurological problems to develop sufficiently to
>diagnose - psychiatry can always be moved in with a sure-fire diagnosis
>that is difficult to dispute.

amen to that!

i had gallstones mis-diagnosed as tension and anxiety
and was treated with tranquilizers for a year

later i was in quarantine for 6 months because i supposed had
infectious hepatitis

it took five years to get the correct diagnosis

i think the lessons for me were:
1. trust my own instincts - i live in my own body
2. medicos are human and just as fallible as me

janet

janet paterson - 51 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada
<http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm>