hi all

At 21:13 1999/02/13 -0500, sherry wrote, in part:
>This morning I took my first SInemet CR 50/200 at about 9 with
>breakfast.  At 11:30 I became extremely  nauseaus and had to go to bed
>not being able to move a muscle without feelling like  I   was going to
>throw up.  Later I developoed a Migraine.  Now I'm afraid to take
>another Sinemet.  Could the Sinemet have caused my problems or was
>it a coincidence?...

i would venture an educated guess that the sinemet doseage level
is the culprit here

is this the very 'first time' you've taken sinemet?

if so, i'm surprised that your neuro did not recommend very low and slow
'titration' i.e. adjusting the doseage level very gradually up

sinemet is infamous for causing stomach upset
for the first weeks or months of using it

the cr version, i.e. controlled release, would have the added 'benefit'??
of causing nausea slowly and constantly for at least 4 hours

when i first started sinemet
i took a half tab [i.e. 5/50] of an 'instant' 10/100 twice a day for a week,
and then bumped it up to three times a day for another week,
etc....  [the cr version was not available then]

titrating sinemet is a basic fact of life with pd
200 mg [the largest size it comes in] as a 'first taste'
strikes me as almost sadistic!

if i were in your shoes
i'd verify the titration rate with my neuro

how many other parkies does your doctor treat?
at what stages of the disease?
we have to be our own best advocates
we have to learn about pd in our own self defense

this kind of [to my mind] sloppy prescribing of brain altering chemicals
is too common still and can be [and has been] health threatening

janet

janet paterson - 51 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada
<http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm>