Can anyone provide information about parameter and extraparameter tracks (I
don't even know if I've got the correct wording on this)? A doctor
explained to me that the motor system can be divided into the
extraparameter track and the parameter track. PD affects the extraparameter
track.

I am especially concerned with this because my mother Joyce (69) recently
went  for a consultation. The doctor found that both tracks are affected --
so she has PD and something else. However, she doesn't necessarily have the
Parkinson's Plus disease straitonigral degeneration, which her doctor from
a few months ago believes she has.

In addition, since the consultation, the consultation doctor received a
copy of  a recent spine MRI report and  he is very concerned with what they
found there -- lots of compression of the vertebrae (this may account for
the      parameter track involvement).

The doctor she consulted with, a major PD doctor in NYC, has never seen a
head slump quite as severe as hers -- I just returned from a visit there
and her head is parallel with the ground (i.e., her face looks down to the
ground). This is probably not related to PD. My mother will be bringing the
MRI film to the doctor next week, so we may know more then.

In the meantime, I am about to search the Internet for a discussion of
extraparameter and parameter tracks, but I thought   I turn to the experts
first.

Thanks for all your help. Just spending a few days with my mom and dad
reinforces the deep respect I have for all PWPs (and Parkinson's Plus) and
caregivers. No one should have to go down this road.

Debbie White