For Kathrynne and others who may be interested in DLBD: Here are
4 references from my CSR files, which are also in the Parkinsn
list Archives: You can get abstracts from Medline, but if this
is sufficient, it's probably easier to locate. (Sorry to be late
with this- my ISP is going nuts and I couldn't log on.)

Hely M et al; J Neur Neurosurg Psy 1996;60:531-538:
Diffuse Lewy body disease (DLBD) looks like PD at first but also
includes dementia, either at onset or later in progression.

Albin R et al; Neur 1996;47:462-466:
Six demented patients were studied by FD-PET, which can show local
distribution of dopamine metabolism, and CAT scan. Five of the six
showed some clinical signs of PD, and two who responded to levodopa
were so diagnosed. On autopsy later, all six were found to have
Diffuse Lewy Body Disease, a condition much more pervasive and
disabling than PD. Five of the six reported visual hallucinations,
and the two diagnosed with PD while living were distinct in having
"cognitive fluctuations". Despite past impression, apparently
FD-PET failed to distinguish DLBD from PD.

Louis E et al;Neur 1997;48:376-380:
While Lewy bodies are always present in PD, some consider PD to be
a distinct member of a family of Lewy-body diseases. Authors
believe, for example, that up to 88% of diffuse Lewy-body disease
(DLBD) cases are misdiagnosed as PD. To test the hypothesis, they
analyzed clinical signs of 31 pathologically (postmortem) verified
DLBD cases and 34 similarly studied PD cases. There were no
differences in rigidity, bradykinesia, dystonia, or gaze palsy,
but DLBD cases had older onset, more common myoclonus, less common
rest tremor, and less common response to or perceived need for
levodopa. Any one of the last 4 signs is 10 times more likely to
indicate DLBD.

Litvan I et al; Arch Neur 1998;55:969-978:
Presence of Lewy bodies is no longer considered essential to
diagnosis of PD, and there is some question as to whether PD and
dementia with Lewy bodies are two distinct diseases or not. The
authors had 6 neurologists review clinical records of a diverse
cohort, and compared their opinions with autopsy findings.

--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road