In a recent post on the CARE list the author asked a number of general
questions, concerning PT for PWP's.  We have struggled with many of these over
the last 15 yrs of my wife's ongoing battle with PD.  The original post
addressed trouble with transportation, PT in a facility or at home, is PT
worthwhile, and if so, for what.  I passed this on to my daughter who is a PT
who has dealt with PD patients in a Rehab Hosp and homecare settings as well
as helping with her mother.  I hope it is useful to some of you.

Phil CG for Carol,wife,62,15
********************
Dad,

You can forward this however seems appropriate.

Mary Ann

I am a homecare Physical Therapist with experience treating Parkinsons
patients in their homes.( I also have a mother 62 with PD).  It is definetly
beneficial to have PT for a Parkinsons patient, and homecare it is actually
preferable to see a person in their own environment to understand potential
safety concerns and aide in supporting the entire family in assisting their
family member. There is no equipment that an outpatient department has that
is important for this person that cannot be recreated in a home setting.
The use of a restorator can be mentioned (a device which sits on the floor
and pedals like a bike though you can sit in any chair) which many
therapists do not have but can be purchased for the range of $45-$50.(it may
even be partially covered under some insurance plans.)  This is useful in
strengtheing and flexibility as well as aiding in endurance.  If a person
cannot leave their home without "considerable" assistance (which can be
unsteady gait, history of recent falls, needing support to prevent loss of
balance) this person is considered homebound by Medicare regulations and
should qualify for homecare from any insurance company. Under this
definition it is assumed that the patient's outing are generally limited to
medical excursions. Flexibility and light strengthening exercises, balance
activities, transfer training (shower transfers, car transfers, in and out
of chairs and bed), gait training with rec. regarding assistive devices,
teaching a home ex. program to patient and caregivers, can be done just as
well at  home.   You can call a local VNA (Visting Nurse Assoc.), try
private home heath care agencies.  Your local hospital should be able to
assist you in finding out what is available.

Hope you find what you need.