Hello Brian ,

Brian Collins wrote:

> On Wed 10 Feb, Joao Paulo Carvalho wrote:
> > Barb , the point I was to trying to get across was how to explain that
> > destroying more dopamine producer neurons (and other brain cells) with
> > Pallidoctomy the result is then,  paradoxically , the reduction of the
> > need of the intake of levodopa .(remembering that the culprit of the
> > symptoms is attributed to the shortage of dopamine in the brain)
> >
> Hello Joao Paulo,  Your e-mail above tells me that you are missing one
> important point in the story of Pallidotomy: The object of a Palidotomy
> is not to damage brain cells (although a few may be accidentally damaged)
> and it is certainly not to damage Dopamine-producing cells. The site
> where all the Dopamine for the control of the major parts of our body
> is the Substantia Nigra, and the Pallidotomy aims to partially sever
> a bundle of nerve fibres in the Globus Pallidus (hence the name). My
> way of explaining it is that the operation 'turns down the volume' of
> the feedback nervous systen (All control systems require a feedback loop
> to tell the main motor system how it is progressing). In a PWP's brain,
> this return signal is swamping the output signal. I hope this helps,
> Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>

Interesting to know that Brian because until then I had the impression that
the
area ( or path ) would be  in which there were a blockage ,else a over firing
,
in the flux of the neurotransmitters and so causing the symptoms .Could this
be possible to occur ??

Also to the best of my knowledge referring your statement " (although a few
may be accidentally damaged) " I think Pallidoctomy aims to destroy some
specific and particular brain cells in the Pallidus zone.

Warm regards ,

--
   +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +
   +--------| Salvador-Bahia-Brazil |------+