As you all know by now, my friend Anne is somewhat of an expert in the  field
of exercises. She has controlled her PD symptoms for many, many years by
judicious use of yoga based exercises, and over the last year or so, has been
sharing that knowledge and experience with members of our support group. She
also sometimes does book reviews for us on topics related to PDS.  This time
she has done a review of the NPF's new exercise book, and she has kindly
agreed to let me post it here. I think we can all benefit by her comments.

Evaluation of 'PARKINSON'S DISEASE:  FITNESS COUNTS'

The orange color of the book is good. It helps it to stand out. The fact that
it can stand up on its own so that you can look and exercise at the same time
is good.  THe exercises that are presented are simple and sufficiently easy
that it is more likely to motivate people to do them at home. 24 stretching
exercises were presented, but only 10 strengthening exercises.  Strength
training and the appropriate breathing were presented only once, on pg. 5. I
feel that every strengthening; exercise should be followed by an instruction
to exhale on exertion. Since most  PWPs havea trouble doing two things at
once, I am not sure whether they can breathe evenly and do an exercise at the
same time. I for one cannot.

More strengthening exercises should perhaps be included and strength training
variants of many of the stretching exercises could be presented. The chest
stretch on p 19 could also become a wall pushup.  The chair-raising exercise
on p 26 could become a chair pushup. The hamstring curl on p 24 could easily
morph into quad stretch and again into a real hamstring curl with a light
weight on it. I should like to see some side-to-side lunges while holding on
to a chair back, to strengthen the thigh abductors to help with balance.

The tips, suggestions and resources listed in the later chapters and
appendices are all helpful., THe note taking area at the end of the book is a
nice touch.

Anne Gill