Another perspective:  it is extremely stressful to be "accused" of having a
psychiatric disorder.  O.K., If the shoe fits, it may be in the patient's
best interest to wear it.  But, the larger problem is, psychiatrists can
generally always finds a diagnostic label that fits and can't be fought:
how can the patient prove he/she doesn't have it?  Most degenerative
neurological problems are accompanied by symptoms that fall within the
realm of psychiatry:  anxiety, memory disorders, depression...It's a
Catch-22.  If the neurologist is unable to come up with a diagnosis - and
it often takes years for neurological problems to develop sufficiently to
diagnose - psychiatry can
always be moved in with a sure-fire diagnosis that is difficult to dispute.

I have some very solid friends with no psychiatric history with very
serious health problems that took some time to diagnose.  In every case,
somewhere along the line they were falsely "accused" of having psychiatric
problems:  "you're anxious...it's just stress...are you sure you're not
depressed?"  These insinuations usually caused my friends some
embarrassment, as if they were inventing symptoms & it was all in their
heads.  One friend almost died - of celiac sprue - before receiving the
correct tests & a diagnosis.  In the interim, her life was made miserable
by the implications that she was inventing, or a psychiatric basket case;
she was further weakened by the symptoms of her illness.

"Physician first do no harm".  Well, loosely flung psychiatric diagnoses
can DO
great harm!

I do not view the fact of having a psychiatric diagnosis as a cause for
shame, at all.  But, when the patient is given a diagnostic label that
frees the physicians from having to look further for physical causes of
complex problems, there is something viscous going on.  And when doctors
cling to that diagnostic label in the face of evidence to the contrary,
i.e. psychotherapy and psychotropic medications aren't helping...that is
even more viscous, oppressive and self-serving on the part of doctors.

Your story makes me see red!  I hope you find your way to some very high
caliber practitioners, and that you let the ones who failed you know they
failed you, if that is the case, and that you hold in highest esteem the
one who kept an open mind and stood by you and the possibility that
something else was afoot.

Lynn H.