Hi all,

RE below:

I think the answer is PR and Politics: the idea is that the public and
politicos like to back a winning horse, i.e., that if there is real hope, all
will rally and send money, phone and write their representatives  at the
federal and state level, and so on.  Celebrities, political and media, know
that if MJFox and JReno were to moan and groan, or just give a reasonable
picture of what PD is, people would turn off, write them off, etc., AND
THEY WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!
 In the case of MJF, I think he went a bit far, but he has a hit show going,
and as he explained to People Mag. or BWalters, he took a TV series instead
of making movies because of PD: it was easier and more secure.  Plus, I
think that ABC would go ballistic if MJF told how it REALLY is WHILE HE
HAS A HIT SHOW GOING--RATINGS!!   I suspect MJFox had to go public
'cause he  cut a deal with the tabloids et al. to let him "come out" on his
own.  It was only a question of time before they "outed him," so he disclosed
it in a very sugar-coated fashion.

Anyway, this is what I make of it.

Ann (fairly new to list; usually just reading to stay informed)