As one of those who started the ball rolling along the Avoiding Sinemet trail,
I think I had better re-state my concept of how a Pallidotomy works, and
what is going on.

First, consider a normal person. Their nervous system is a splendid example
of a closed loop control system. In the real person the signal and feedback
loops are an amazing 3-dimensional network, I looked at a paper on the
subject for about 20 seconds, and decided to go back to ny simple system -
but we can still play with the concept.

Now consider the PWP, having lost nearly all his Dopamine production, and
only an intermittent, weak and feeble signal getting through. I believe that
in priciple it doesn't matter which line is degraded- it could be the supply
signal, or the feedback signal; it just depends on your frame of reference.

Finally, the Pallidotomy does Not sever anything: I believe the term used is
a'lesion', which I take to mean partial severence of a bundle of nerve fibres
in the Pallidus: these form a part of the feedback loop, and I repeat that
they are only partially cut. (I am not inventing this- I really believe
that that is what is done in the real operation. Maybe someone can check on
that?.  This is why the patient is conscious- so that the surgeon can tell
by the absence of symptoms, when to stop cutting.
The resulting weak output signal is again at the same approximate level as
the supply. The reason why thePWP  has to continue taking Sinemet may be to
provide a strongeer signal as well. Thanks to all who contributed to this
(speculative) discussion.
Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>