Carol Walton, a dedicated PD advocate whom some of us have nicknamed "the
Energizer", is not yet a member of this LIst, so she asked that this
message be posted:

To the Parkinson's Listserve

I realize this is the first time I have addressed this group but I feel
compelled to do so after the past week-end in Miami.  Like Terrie Whitling
and others one of my dreams came true this past week-end.  I have always
believed that "independence" can be either a strength or a weakness--in the
case of the Parkinson Alliance I was always concerned that our indepence
was a weakness.  By joining with NPF as their fund raising and advocacy arm
I believe my dream has come to fruition.  We will be able to accomplish so
much more by working through NPF's chapters, support groups and centers of
excellence.  We also have excellent support with people like Larry
Hoffheimer, Bill Turenne, Kim Seidman, Michael Alecia and Melinda
Brown--just to name a few.  The Chairman, Nathan Slewett, has been an
inspiration to all of us--asking us what we wanted to accomplish and never
attaching any strings.  I  believe the community is really waiting to take
that next step in the cure for PD.  The way to cure PD is through research
and the only way to do more research is to raise money.  WE ARE READY for
the big challenge now--the more money we raise the sooner my friends get
rid of this devastating disease.  THERE IS ROOM FOR EVERYONE AND WE NEED
EVERYONE TO HELP.  There will be more info on our programs within the next
few days---we need people to step up to the plate and take the challenge
with us.  I'm honored to work with this group--you see I am only one of
three that does not have the disease.  I have a feeling there are other
daughters, sons, etc that have lots of energy and can really help us--NOW
IS THE TIME--sincerely,

Carol Walton