Camilla,

You're most welcome!  By the way, Camilla, there is one slight correction
to note: at one point, referring to the proposed "HDV virus", or Human
Dopamine-Neutralizing Virus, I typed tyrosine DEhydroxylase instead of
what I meant to type, tyrosine hydroxylase.

  I had another thought about the proposed "HDV virus"'s  action
today--what if the virus covers over the dopamine receptor sites on cell
membranes--the same receptor sites that agonists like Permax and Mirapex
are thought to stimulate?  IF a PD-causing virus blocked dopamine
receptor sites, then even if dopamine is present, it would not be
transportable from one cell to another in the brain, because it would
never be recognized by its intended receptors.

  Viruses are well-known to attach themselves to cell surfaces of the
host, which they then attack.

  This HDV-virus model involves interception of dopamine TRANSPORT,
rather than interruption of  dopamine PRODUCTION. Looks like there are
fascinating answers awaiting an enterprising research
team !

Yours sincerely,

Ivan Suzman

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 17:28:28 -0500 Camilla Flintermann
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>I am no scientist, and so am unable to evaluate the scenario Ivan
>presented
>about the viral origin of PD.  I think it is certainly worth
>considering,
>along with other approaches, as he makes what seems a very convincing
>case.
>Thanks, Ivan. for this thoughtful and thought-provoking contribution
>to the
>list.
>
>Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 80/70/55
>Oxford, Ohio
>http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/camilla/one.htm
>
>                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
>                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "

 Ivan Suzman        49/39/36       [log in to unmask]   :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses         24  deg. F   :-)