Stan,
You're one of the relatively few people I know of who--like myself--had
consecutive bilateral pal's.  Both of mine were done in '96 and brought about
significant improvements that still hold today.  BUT I also had signifgvicant
complications and I'm wondering if you experienced anything similar.  Some of
the complications were things I was told were common in bilateral pal. (v.
unilateral)--such as excessive drooling and speech volume problems--and they
were temporary, as I was told they would be, although I still have minor
problems with both of these sx.  The other developments which I am suggesting
were complications of the surgery can be described as a major disruption of my
overall health and physical shape.  Within a year and a half of the 2nd pal, I
was hospitalized for pneumonia and had seizures while in the hospital and
highly feverish, I had back surgery for a deteriorated disc and severe spinal
stenosis, and shoulder surgery (replacement) for severe arthritis.  I still
have major pain and problems with both my back and my shoulder--the latter due
to dystonia.  My point is tar I was always pretty healthy and in pretty good
shape,, even with PD, prior to the second pal.  I had problems before with
both my back and my shoulder but they were minor, manageable problems.  What
made them become so severe and acute at the same time.  I've talked about this
with a nurse for whom I have the utmost respect and she says it's not uncommon
for people to experience unrelated medical problems following major brain
surgery.  The idea is that those tiny lesions in our brains--especially when
they're on both sides, eliminating the possibility of one side compensating
for the other for any impaired functions--are just enough too upset the
overall gestalt of brain function to shake loose a couple of  problem areas
that had lied dormant before.  I say all of this despite, or in addition to
the fact that the 2 pal's helped me tremendously.   This may sound crazy but I
need to know if you or anybody else who had bilateral pal's can relate to my
experience.
Marry Polonsky