Re the question about leg cramps.

Ted had them a few years ago that were so bad he was in agony just about day
and night.  He had cortizone shots which would help for a little while but
after a bit the cramps were back and there is a limit to cortizone shots you
want  or the doctors want to give.  Kept heat on his back.  WE begged for pain
killers, which we needed for him to get any rest at all.  AGain, not too good
an idea as a permanent remedy ..... would give him relief for maybe a couple
of hours.  New York was very strick with prescriptions for pain killers at
that time, has eased a bit now.

Our daughter lives in Rochester, Minnesota and we took him to Mayo Clinic.  He
had complete round of doctors, tests, etc.  Only good thing of that was they
could prescribe pain killers more liberaly than N.Y. doctors.  Neurologist
said he was under medicated and told him to take more sinemet.  He did, but
all that accomplished was to start tremors which he had never had.  Didn't
help the cramps.  At the last minute managed to see a doctor specializing in
rhemutitus/arthritis.  He told us about capsaisim (spelling?), hot pepper
ointment.  We had been using a version but were not aware we needed to use it
several times a day and over a period of time.    And, a stronger version
was/is now available.  He also said to wrap his legs in ace bandage.   Well,
we did.  It took some time, but eventually gave him relief.  It could have
been a circulation problem.  He now wears perscription support hose and it
makes a big difference in many areas, but they are hard to put on his size 16
feeet!   We still use the capsasim.  It does work, helps shoulder and back
pains.

Sorry to be so long winded, and it may not apply to the situation mentioned
but thought it was worth sharing.   The pain was terrible.  By the way, this
came on after a terrible winter where he got very little exercise.  We now
make sure he gets as much exercise as possible.

Virginia Christiansen
White Plains, NY