From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Pennies for Parkinsons
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 10:04:40 EST

Terrie (please post this on the listserv):

Hmmmmmm....... "Pennies for Parkinson's"  What a good name for a campaign.

I remember this was your idea 2 years ago. I am so glad you now have the
institutional support necessary to realize this idea.  Persistence pays.... My
congradulations goes out in advance to the Alliance for the good work you are
doing.

I have been cultivating a senior researcher to submit a seed grant proposal.
As a new Board member of Medlantic Research Institute (medical research arm of
a large multi-institutional health system), I have contacted the Director of
the new Neuroscience Program at the National Rehab Hospital in DC (1 of 12
hospitals in the Medlantic-Helix, now Medstar, Health System).  He will apply
his work on cognitive performance using ritalin and other stimulants to PD. I
am going to be the test case.  I have been doing much better substituting
ritalin for zoloft to help my concentration and energy.  For me Ritalin, which
is not often used in PD, is much cheaper, more effective, and has fewer side
effects.  It should be interesting.

I also have been working with the National PD organizations to try to
coordinate public policy efforts.  As you know, Collaboration among PD groups
is an issue that has always been important to me.  I resigned from the
Parkinson's Alliance in order to pursue this activity after they dropped
efforts work with other organizations and to promote coordination from their
agenda.  In the next few days I will report on these coordination activities.

You will always be a Southern Belle to me.

Perry