Hi Philip ,

Another evidence that points that it is NOT a shortage of dopamine (levedopa) that
is the main cause o the symptoms of PD is the observation that a DBS (deep brain
stimulation)  performed with success in a right point in the brain , do eliminate
, or reduce substantially , these symptoms as well can also eliminate or reduce
the need of the intake of levodopa .

Unlike Pallidotomy , the DBS does not destroy some cells in a specific point in
the brain but achieve the same results related to the elimination of the symptoms
in PD.

Philip Connors wrote:

> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> <<  IT is an interesting idea that pallidotomy is the cutting of a
>  > overactive movement feedback loop . It might explain PD freezing as
>  > an overactive feedback .
> I can see why this second type, positive feedback, could be used in modeling
> tremors.  Electronically, this is Oscillator Theory and the next step is to
> look at the "gain" of the system -- the state of the response to your meds
> (amount of dopamine present?)  NOW as a physicist/engineer I am over my head
> in the biology/physiology/pharmacology of the brain and will stop here.
>
> You have just received the intro to a part of my Electronics course on Control
> and Oscillators -- doesn't that make you want to rush back to college and
> study physics and engineering -- or some of the other fun things that go on
> there.

It does for sure .    :-))

Cheers,

   +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +