Dear Robin, Elliott, PDF grant recipients, and Listfolks,

  Thank you Robin, Dr. Fahn, and all involved in
providing money to offer scientific grants!

     A thought ---

  It could be helpful to many of us, if the titles of the
grants of the successful applicants, and the amounts of
money granted, were POSTED to the Parkinson's List for
all of us to know.

   It is very encouraging to know that the major PD organizations are
communicating to avoid duplication of very precious research funds!

    And one QUESTION:

    Is there a scientific group looking at the "HDV" virus concept, that
 human dopamine-neutralizing virus exists, that attacks the DNA that
codes
 for tyrosine hydroxylase, therefore restricting dopamine,and maybe
adrenaline,
from being manufactured in normal amounts?

    Incidentally, I just heard yesterday through the grapevine
that Dr. Abraham Lieberman has recently mentioned the possibility
of a PD-causing virus, at an NPF symposium!.

Ivan Suzman

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999 11:53:59 EST "Parkinson's Disease Foundation"
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Listfriends --
>
>I thought you would be interested in knowing the outcome of an all-day
>meeting
>in new york last friday to consider applications for this year's
>International
>Research Grants Program (IRGP), an annual activity through which the
>Parkinson's Disease Foundation makes grants to promising Parkinson's
>research
>programs in the U.S. and around the world.
>
>Our committee of 10, headed by Dr. Stanley Fahn, our scientific
>research
>director, reviewed a total of 69 proposals (more than twice last
>year's crop!)
>and made a total of 17 awards, each of up to $35,000 for one year's
>work.  The
>total: more than $600,000 for "cutting-edge" inquiry into the cause
>and cure
>of Parkinson's.
>
>Overall, there was a wonderful sense of optimism and respect....(CUT)
>
>best to all -- robin elliott, executive director, parkinson's disease
>foundation

 Ivan Suzman        49/39/36       [log in to unmask]   :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses          40 deg. F   :-)