Bruce,
My husband had a heart attack about a year an a half ago.  He recently
thought he was having another one but it turned out to be gas.  Very
difficult to distinguish the feeling between the two.  He takes one aspirin a
day along with other meds.  But if he is feeling like he is having aheart
attack, he is to take, or is given in er, nitroglycerine tablets sublingual
every 5 minutes.  I have heard of some people who take one aspirin in the
morning and one at night.  I think it depends on how thick your blood is as
aspirin has a thinning effect on the blood.  Vitamin E has also been shown to
have a similar quality. Hope I have been of some help to you.
Jennifer