TO CANADIAN PIEN'ers

I recall a couple of messages on our listserve from our American
colleagues on the subject of reference by President Clinton in his
recent State of the Union address to funding for Parkinson's disease.
The Canadian counterpart of this political event is the presentation of
the annual budget by our Minister of Finance Paul Martin on Tuesday this
week.
For those who sat through this almost two hours of showing how the
Liberals are meeting the health care needs of Canadians may recall there
was mention of federal funding of prevention of disease but specifically
only diabetes and cancer.
I just completed residing the detailed budget papers which were released
along with Martin's speech. One of the documents is a pamphlet entitled
STRENGTHENING HEALTH CARE FOR CANADIANS which provides a section on
examples of ' Federal Research Dollars at Work. ' The following was
cited:- Dr. Alec MacKenzie and Dr. Robert Komeluk of the Children's
Hospital of Eastern Ontario in Ottawa discovered a family of genes that
control normal cell death through a process called apoptosis. The
ability to control these genes-turning them on or off-could help
patients suffering from major diseases, including Parkinson's.

Did anyone find any other gems which should be followed up??

Cheers, Ken Clements
Ottawa  < [log in to unmask]