   Scientists Engineer 'Stealth Virus' To Deliver Genes
            Duke University Medical Center researchers report that they have
modified a common virus so that it can carry corrective genes to defective
cells without stimulating an immune response. They believe their achievement
overcomes a major barrier to widespread use of adenovirus, a common cold
virus, as a genetic delivery vehicle. Their results are published in the
February issue of the journal Human Gene Therapy.

            "In our set of experiments, we were not only able to deliver the
gene to the intended site, but it also persisted for more than two months,"
said Dr. Andrea Amalfitano, a Duke pediatric geneticist who led the team.
"If our approach is confirmed by further studies, these modified
adenoviruses could have great application for future gene therapy in
humans."

http://www.ivanhoe.com/docs/newsflash.html#stealth

Jay Henkelman
49/39/30