Hilary, Murray, Judith and list,

Selegiline is a selective MAO inhibitor,  in lower doses it only
inhibits MAO B (or- is it A -I never remember)  In higher oral doses
doses it is an antidepressant  over 30 mg/day (and perhaps at lower
doses that
PWP take may have some antidepressant effect also).  At lower doses it
(supposedly) does not interact with other drugs and foods but because
everybody reacts differently many of the warnings of drug interactions
at higher doses are given to people taking 5-10 mg / day even if they
are  unlikely.  There are several kinds of interactions possible and the
SSRI antidepressants like Prozac and Zoloft  can be used but with
caution. I wonder whether the patch with its more constant blood level
allows the delivery of a dose that is more effective without inhibiting
the MAO A (or is it B?)  and increasing the possibility of food and drug
interaction.  Or- more cynically this may be a way to market the drug
differently without being too obvious. (like Zyban is marketed for
smoking control and has a different price structure than Wellbutrin-
the exact same drug (bupropion).

And Sharon-

I am so glad Seroquel has lived up to its expectations at least for your
mother.  It was released since I left practice and in spite of their
initial promise there have been several other drugs that I had hoped
would replace Clozaril but none came close for PD patients.

Also- a personal note-  I have backed off a little from the list over
the past week or so. My dystonia is acting up and I can't sit at the
computer for the amount of time I could previously.  I am still going to
work on the FAQ regarding how to deal with volume. Also there may have
ben some questions directed at me that I did not answer.  I apologize
for that.

Charlie

--
Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.