I believe this has gone around before, but here's the refutation again of
the story that FCC plans to charge for internet access on your phone
bill....just another urban Legend, so please DO NOT forward the charge !

##########
There is a message floating around the Net right now saying that

     CNN stated that the Government would in two weeks time decide to
     allow or not allow a charge to your phone bill equal to a Long
     Distance call EACH time you access the Internet.

CNN did indeed report this on November 7th, 1998, but CNN's story is
just flat out wrong.  Four days after CNN's story first aired, Federal
Communications Commission chairman William Kennard made the following
statement at a meeting of the National Association of Regulatory
Commissioners:

     For reasons that escape me, there are those who regularly suggest
     that the FCC is considering the imposition of per minute charges
     on Internet providers.  The forces behind these rumors are doing
     a disservice to the American consumer, because in fact nothing
     could be further from the truth.  But somehow these rumors keep
     arising, often on the Internet itself.  I know, because I receive
     hundreds and thousands of e-mails every time this rumor arises.

     I know that many of the e-mails I receive are from well-meaning,
     but misinformed, people who are concerned about the future of the
     Internet.  I applaud their vigilance and I am glad to assure them
     that the FCC is not about to impose per minute charges on the
     Internet.

In other words, CNN's story is false.  For more information, take a
look at

http://korova.com/virus/hoax981220.htm </a>.

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 80/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "