Dear List Family....

I owe thanks to one of you (Ooop! I forgot WHO, tho) <blush> for
posting on the List a reference for the book "Worst Pills-Best
Pills,"

Last week I ordered this outstanding reference source from Amazon.com
(http://amazon.com) and am about 3/4 of the way thru the book now.

The book lists drugs which when taken together can cause life-threa
by Sidney M. Wolfe, M.D., Larry D. Sasich, PharmD., M.P.H.,
Rose-Ellen Hope, R.Ph. and the "Public Citizen's Health Research
Group (founder, Ralph Nader).  Ordered thru Amazon.com, the cost to
me, including door-to-door express shipping, was $16.95.

Subjects covered are drugs which can cause life-threatening reactions
when used together, the 200 most prescribed drugs, hundreds of other
pairs of dangerously interacting drugs, "Rules for Safe Drug Use,"
"Do Not Use" warnings, adverse effects, alternate treatments (if
available), symptoms and /or reactions to call your doctor about,
periodic tests to have if you're taking certain drugs, heat-stress or
cold-stress alerts on a per-drug basis (if applicable), "Before you
use this drug" warnings for those who are being treated for one or
more medical conditions, "When you use this drug,"  "How to use this
drug," Pregnancy warnings, and much more.

"Worst Pills-Best Pills" includes information on the "Best of the
worst" pills, and 100 new drugs.  Over all, it discusses 460 of the
most used of today's drugs.

I must admit that I found it kind of scary to read this book because
right from the start, I kept coming across drugs which I'm currently
taking, and it soon became apparent  neither my primary HMO
physician, my HMO neurologist, or the  HMO's pharmacist(s) have  a
CLUE to about the extremely dangerous interactions  of the meds
they've prescribed for me - some of which I can certainly live
without,  such as the sleeping pills.

The LEAST some of these drugs do is cause memory loss, and some of
the drugs I take may cause even worse symptoms - not all of which are
reversible should the drug use be discontinued.

I strongly urge my fellow List members to consider this reference
book for their own personal libraries - you won't regret it.

Oh.... and I have no financial interest in this book, it's authors,
or the publishing company, etc.

Barb Mallut