Dear Archbishop Tutu,

On behalf of my husband and myself, I wish to thank you for your concern
for the people with Parkinson's and their caregivers all over the world.
We are deeply moved and very appreciative.

For Parkinsonians at various stages of the disease, Parkinson's means so
many losses---the loss of futures planned togerther;   of companionship
with friends and family;   of the special communication that couples share,
when voices falter and words are slow to emerge.... The loss of work and
income;  the loss to the community of the energies and ideas of  so many
creative citizens;  of personal freedom by caregivers who focus their lives
on the care of a loved one;  of the joy of seeing grandchildren grow
up........all these may be sacrificed .

Still, many Parkinsonians feel they have been given, in some strange way, a
gift, that gives new meaning to their days, despite pain and
frustration---that deepens their relationships with those who care for
them, and shows them  a determination and spiritual reserves they never
knew they had.

The caregivers, who accompany them on their journey  learn, too, how
patience and love can be sorely tested, and still prevail.  And how hope
for a better medecine, for a cure, can sustain them through their daily
trials,  how the loving support of family and friends, even
never-to-be-seen friends on an internet list, can make it possible to "keep
on keeping on."  We often pray for each other, in different ways, but in
the same spirit of love which moves you to pray on our behalf---Thank you,
from the bottom of our hearts.

Peter Flintermann,  81,diagnosed 10 years ago,and his wife  of  56 years,
Camilla H. Flintermann
        (co-owner of the CARE list for caregivers  of People With Parkinsons)