Lanier wrote:

> something I am curious about. I think we all have heard that some people
> "POP" their neck or low back or somewhere up and down the spinal
> column.This results in the release of tension and/or reduction of pain,
> or maybe it just feels good. What exactly are we (I am one who pops
> their lower back) doing when we do this? I was told by a physical

I say, don't do it.  What is happening probably is in the ligaments,
and not the bones; but any repeated movement of this type can, IMO,
be harmful.  An occasional "stretch" may be OK; but repeated
"popping", IMO, is not good.

Best,

Bob

ROBERT A. FINK, M. D., F.A.C.S.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, CA  94704-2636  USA
Phone:  (510) 849-2555   FAX:  (510) 849-2557

WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"