A few clarifications on my post re B-12 shots.  One person mentioned
that they were getting B-12 shots because of a drug that they were
taking that inhibited B-12 absorption.  That does occur and would induce
a pernicious anemia syndrome.  Therefore especially if there is a known
reason why you should have a decreased B-12 do not stop b-12 shots.

  In any case any advise given by me or any body else on the internet
should be checked out with a treating physician.  Changes in drugs,
doses etc. should never be made without discussing it with a physician
that knows your case.

Also, Bob Fink mentioned in an off list comment that he thought B-12 was
being used   a few years back for diabetic neuropathy.  I am not aware
of that but I defer to Bob in that area.

My original point was that I was not aware of any documented benefit of
B-12 shots for dementia without the evidence of a b-12 deficiency and if
a physician refuses to give someone a b-12 shot it probably is because
you don't need it. ( And while the risk of infection and complications
is negligible these days one person commented that his wife developed
hepatitis as a result of poorly sterilized needles when getting a b-12
shot in the 50's.

Charlie
--
Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.