David Thurston wrote:

> Dear List,
> I have been told that monosodium glutomate is a definite no-no for pwps.
> I live in Asia where it's hard to avoid. Anyone have any more research
> details/comments please?
> Dave Thurston

Hello Dave,
It took me a while to find it, but there is an excellent book by Russell
L. Blaylock M.D., out of the U. of Mississippi Med School.  It is:

Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills
Pub.  Health Press c1994

We pwp should not only avoid msg, but also aspertame.  These substances
are also bad for those with Alzheimers and ALS.

Manufactures hide msg under many names, some of which are natural
flavors, natural spices, and many more that I can't remember.
Hydrolyzed vegetable protein is another one.

The book is very well documented.  It does not alledge to 'a study', but
names the study, number of participants, length, who sponsered, etc.

Also has an excellent chapter on brain chemistry, in which he tells you
up front you can skip if you aren't technically inclined, but will still
be able to understand the rest of the book.

I have quit using msg entirely, and although my wife had to rework a lot
of recipes (its in bullion cubes) I feel it is worth it.

Good Luck,
Walter