In a message dated 2/20/99 6:04:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Finally, the Pallidotomy does Not sever anything: I believe the term used
is
 a'lesion', which I take to mean partial severence of a bundle of nerve fibres
 in the Pallidus: these form a part of the feedback loop, and I repeat that
 they are only partially cut. (I am not inventing this- I really believe
 that that is what is done in the real operation. Maybe someone can check on
 that?.  This is why the patient is conscious- so that the surgeon can tell
 by the absence of symptoms, when to stop cutting >>
Brian,
As someone who participated in some of the earlier rounds of this discussion,
I'd like to jump back in momentarily to clarify a point.  I have had 2
(bilateral) pal's and I double-checked with the surgical team which did my
pal's, and I assure you that there IS complete and total cutting of nervous
tissue in the globus pallidus, resulting in a break in part of the system
involved in the delivery of dopamine and the control of movement.  The reason
the patient must be conscious during the surgery is to let the surgeon know if
they have strayed into dangerous, adjacent areas--eg the optoic nerve
tract--while probling to establish the precise lesion site.  In this phase of
the surgery, the probe does no harm, although it is capable of eliciting
excitatory responses when it hits nerve sites--eg when the op[tic nerve tract
is stimulated, the patient will see stars and colors when he/she closes
his/her eyes.   When they have carefully mapped out the lesion site through
this method and the use of radio frequency brain mapping, they electrify the
probe and zap
the site--wholly and fully.  The lesion site is actually burned, or cauterized
by the electrified probe and the result is that the tissue is dead.  At this
stage, they don't dare hit adjacent areas, such as the optic nerve tract.
The fact that this lesion, microscopic in size, nevertheless causes
irreversible brain damage is why DBS is so attractive as an alternative
because it does not inflict permanent damage to the tissue.

As you implied in your post, it sure is hard to fit the human body, especially
the brain, in all of its complexity and subtlety of function and organization
into a theoretical model
Marty Polonsky.