From:   George Robbins <[log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask]
Date:  Thursday, February 25, 1999

There has been a number of news stories about Parkinson's Disease  on
various TV stations (network and cable) and in many newspapers. Some
good, some bad. It appears that Parkinson's Awareness Month has al-
ready started. Maybe our officials of the Parkinson's Organizations could
meet with the officials of the media and explain that April is Parkinson's
Awareness Month and what we trying to accomplish.   This could really
help all of us educate the public and them get involved in contacting their
Representatives (Senate and House). Don't wait for your friend to write a
letter-write it for them and have them sign it. I realize this is "one big
job,"
but someone has to do it. If you have the right connections with local TV,
Cable, or newspaper people, start making your plans now on what you
would like to accomplish during Parkinson's Awareness Month! It should
be a year around project until we find a cure.

Some suggestions to consider during April:
        1)  A workshop on Parkinson's Disease - get your neurologist in-
             volved.
        2)  Have the Mayor, County and/or City Commissioners issue a
             proclamation regarding Parkinson's Disease.
        3)  A Prayer breakfast with religious leaders, members of the
             business community, service clubs and anyone interested
             in supporting Parkinson's Disease.
        4) Some of you may be a member of service clubs (Jaycees,
            Lions or others) or a member of the VFW, American Legion,
            or other organization-get them involved in some way.
        5) Local Support groups for Parkinson's Disease Sponsor a
            Health Fair with members of various professions;  American
            Heart Association, Eye Doctors, or anyone who will work
            with you in supporting your our cause.
This is just a few items you might consider. Some of these are easy
and some not so easy. The bottom line is get involved in some way.
Someone said "Are you letting things happen, or are you making
things happen?"
Good luck.