My mother was diagnosed with PD at the age of 43.  She is now 57.  She
suffers through a lot of pain, extreme rigidity, and burning sensations.  A
few years ago we learned about reducing the protein count in her diet and
that helped quite a bit.  (She eats no meat and we keep track of her protein
input everyday in a logbook.  She is averaging about 32 grams of protein per
day.)  Unfortunately, her weight has gone from 134 pounds to 91 pounds.  She
takes 650 milligrams of Sinemet between 7am and 9pm.  And she takes Restoril
and Elavil before going to bed.  We are now contemplating pallidotomy.  Her
body is rarely able to "link" between Sinemet doses.  She cannot have
several light meals throughout the day because any amount of food in her
stomach interferes with the Sinemet.  Hence, not only does she avoid
high-protein foods but, also, high fiber foods.  She cannot wait a long
period of time for all the food to digest because the PD symptoms are too
excrutiating.  At this time her worst symptoms are these sensations that her
head is about to explode off of her neck like a rocket ship and inside her
skull if feels like she has been beaten with a baseball bat.  This is an
every day occurrence.

I would like more information on pallidotomy surgery.  I have found some
information at www.axonet.com but I would like information about its success
rate and the statistics of what symptoms were alleviated and for how long,
etc.  Does anyone know where I can find this information?

Teresa