HI-

Sorry to hear about your dad and hope this helps.

The dose he was taking was quite low (if it was 25-100 tablets) and
without trying higher doses and other medications it is almost certainly
too early to say that he is in the terminal phases of this illness.

 If your dad has been taking 1/2 tablet three times  per day he likely
could benefit from more Sinemet.  If he has been dependent on sinemet
and especially if it helped him at one time and it is stopped he is
likely to get either rigid and/or tremulous and it may affect his
ability to swallow.

I am not familiar with a Rice Tube (it is far out of my area.) I presume
it is a tube put directly in the stomach from the skin.  A Naso-gastric
tube can be inserted through the nose into the stomach and the sinemet
can be given that way if his digestive system is working properly.
Usually that kind of tube can be inserted by almost any trained person
without anesthesia. The Sinemet certainly has been stopped if he is
unable to take anything by mouth.

In terms of what to do I would talk to the physician about the issues I
mentioned above.  If he doesn't give you a satisfactory explanation of
what is going on with your father's condition then ask to speak to
whoever is over him until you get an explanation of what is the
diagnosis, treatment and plan of care (which you should also of course
ask the first doctor.  I don't know anything about your system of care
there but certainly push to get a greater understanding of what they are
doing and thinking.Make sure to ask them about what me and others are
suggesting.  I give the information as suggestions of approaches and not
as specific treatment for a patient  and a medical system I know little
about.

But, It sounds as though your father's life is at stake and I hope that
this information will be useful to you. You have every right to demand a
clear explanation of their view and challenge that if it conflicts with
information that you have from reliable sources.

Good luck and email me if I can provide any further assistance.

BTW I am a psychiatrist 54 years old who has retired 2 years ago because
of now 10 years of Parkinson's Disease.

Also please forgive the syntax of the letter,  I am opting for speed of
response rather than proofreading.

Charlie

--
Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.