Dateline Parkinsaw, MI
Feb 28, 1999
A View from the Lighter Side

Welcome to Parkinsaw, a certified imaginary community located in
Michigan's Upper Peninsula, populated largely by individuals stricken by
Parkinson's Disease.  Stories, situations and characters are fictitious
and are presented in the belief that laughter, as music of the soul, is
God's gift to us all, and is good medicine.  The Chamber of Commerce is
waiting to serve you.  Enjoy your visit while you "Shuffle off to Parka,
Shuffle off to Parka, Shuffle off to Parkinsaaaw"

Parkansonians around here love to get on a soapbox and expound on
whatever subject happens to be on their minds that day.   A protracted
discussion took place at the Town Hall Wednesday night, about the
relative status of the pig in society in general, and here in Parkinsaw
in particular.  I was there and this is what happened:

There has been an almost reverent feeling about the pig here in
Parkinsaw, ever since it became known that cells from pig foeteses could
be transplanted to humans to produce the dopamine that the brains we
sufferers of Parkinson's Disease have stopped making.  As a result,
Parkinsaw has the largest per capita  ownership of pet pigs in the
country.  Violet Swanson says of her pet pig Arnold "why I'd be lost
without
 my little porker.  I take him everywhere I go."   Whether pig-to-human
transplants will occur in the future or not,  residents here are truly
fond of these animals.  Folks around here feel it ironic that the one
animal  that possesses the potential for contributing to the reversal of
brain cell damage in humans is an animal which has been unfairly
maligned over the years, made the butt of ridicule and derision, and
generally treated with a pronounced lack of respect.  "It just seems to
me that the pig has been given such a negative image, and undeservingly
so, that it's time to do something about it  The only positive role
models for the pig have been Disney's Porky Pig, Piggly Wiggly Food
Stores and Miss Piggy",  observed Doris Bloomquist.  "It's time to go to
bat for the pig."

So, after several hours of reasoned discussion,  the citizens of
Parkinsaw decided to form a new organization called  "STY-KING" to:
"Promote and enhance a  favorable image of the pig by underscoring its
positive traits, encouraging ownership of  pigs as pets and companions
for those stricken with PD, and to explain the many ways pigs can be
trained to aid handicapped individuals.  For example, pigs can be
trained to help parkinsonians living alone to roll over in bed by
pushing them with their snout, to empty bedpans and to fetch beer and
cigarettes.  "The pig is known as one of the most intelligent of all
animals, and it's remarkable the things they can be trained to do.  Why,
I'm working with our pig Jeeves to mow the lawn and do the laundry",
affirms Maude Olson.  The group settled on the name  "Parkie Pig"  as
the organization's logo image, and Chubby L'Barre, who is an avid pet
pig owner,  was  named  president.  Chubby will appoint other officers
as needed.

"The first order of business, eh"said  Chubby passionately, "is to get
the word out that the pig is the only animal of all God's creatures who
can qualify for animal-to-human cell transplants.  Although  we've
honored other animals throughout history  such as the  horse,  dog,
cat,  monkeys, chimps, fish, whales, dolphins,  not one of these species
is good enough to be considered as a source for the transplantation of
cells into human brains.   Have the other animals  been the continuous
butt of insulting jokes?   Noooo!  That's because they all have positive
images, while the  poor little pig, who is the most intelligent of them
all, is singled out for his snout, maligned for his weight and generally
referred to as a fat, disgusting animal."

Chubby L'Barre continued with this suggestion  "I think we need to
promote STY-KING in as many ways as we can, eh.  Let's start with some
bumper stickers.  I've been taking notes, and here's a few for
starters":  'The Pig!  Not Just for Bacon Anymore';  'Have you Hugged
Your Pig Today?'; 'Pig Owners Make Better Lovers!';  'Ask Me About My
Pig, Today'; 'Can Your Cat Give You a Cell Transplant?', and 'Ho(i)nk if
you Love Pigs'.  We can sell these things on the internet on the Swede's
web site where he already is selling his "Parkies Do It With Rigor"
bumper stickers.  I hear they're selling like Palmetto Bugs."

Chubby received a round of applause for his suggestions.  Then, a
tourist wandered in, and asked why the pig was so popular in Parkinsaw:
"Pot-bellied pigs are pretty popular with parkies here in Parkinsaw",
profferred Paul Peterson, proud and prosperous proprietor of Paul's
Piggery on Piggy Place, "probably primarily because they're playful,
plentiful and pretty patient, and if properly pampered have proven  they
can provide Parkinsaw parkinsonians with proprietary pig parts
posthumanously, and,  parenthetically, provide pretty productive
potential partners as proverbially pristine pets."

"Of course, that's easy for you to say", quipped the tourist, as he
wandered out the door.

With that, the meeting adjourned, and everyone went home to feed their
pig.  Pigs eat well in Parkinsaw, and that's not a sty in the sky
statement.

Well, friends, the sun is sinking low here in Michigan's  beautiful
Upper Peninsula, and the deer are coming out to feed now.  Speaking of
eating, I think I'll head over to Mullock and Mooky's Pit Barbeque for
some pork ribs.  Nah, just kidding.  Until next week, then, don't you
dare give in to PD and forfeit God's gift of your smile, laughter and
sense of humor.

John R Bjork (60/20)
A View from the Lighter Side
Parkinsaw, MI