Dear friends,

  There is an ongoing and enormous response to my suggestion that
Dopamine
Deficiency Disorders (including Parkinson's DIsease, and
many related disorders) may be of  viral origin, caused by a "human
dopamine-neutralizing virus" or "HDV."  This line of thinking is in
essence contained in two recent posts to the List, one called "Genes,
Parkinson's, VIruses and Research Priorities," on 2/13/99,
followed by a very short response to a comment from Camilla Flintermann,
called PD-causing virus ("HDV" virus) model.," on 2/16/99.

  Responding to each of your messages, many of which were
not posted to the Parkinson's List as a whole, requires patient
research on my part.  Also, there is a sudden series of requests
for speaking engagements and teaching appearances.

  I am  being asked to appear on the local "circuit," starting tomorrow
with two classes at a local high school, both in the next two weeks.
  These talks involve teaching with slides and with delicate
plasticine and plaster of Paris replicas of fossil hominid bony
remains from Africa .  Paleoanthropology is my original field of
research.

  I would be very grateful if those who have recently written would
allow a waiting period before I can respond personally.

  There are currently nearly 60 e-mail messages that I feel deserve
attention, plus assorted phone calls and letters. It's almost surreal.
  Quite honestly, I  feel like the opportunity to respond requires that
 I train my team of PCA's as if, amidst the challenge of being a PWP,
we were a Department of Virology's top new research group,
at a highly-specialized Institute of Parkinsology!

  Each public appearance, or teaching opportunity gives me
a precious moment to explain how Parkinson's affects me.
I feel like a spokesperson and educator on Parkinson's
Awareness, when I am out interacting publicly.  This is
especially true now that I  have to speak with a microphone,
from a seated position, and with considerable extra effort,
and be extra-vigilant about my medication cycles.

What a challenge!  I'm sure many of you know from your
own experiences EXACTLY what I mean - like that submerged,
but anxious thought-"will my medications wear off in FRONT
of everyone?"-that goes on while "out there" in front of a world
that usually does not see real-in-the-flesh Parkinson's.

Your understanding and patience is most gratefully appreciated.
I guess looking at this post, although it has a formal air about it,
I also want to add a  feeling of excitement about the approach of
Parkinson's Awareness Month, in April.  Thanks for "listening."

 Sincerely yours,

 Ivan Suzman 49/39/36
Portland, Maine